The Altaian tractor plant situated in Rubtsovsk town of the Altai Territory started yr 1942. Yr 1952 the plant began producing DT-54 diesel tractors and, in 1965, T-4 tractors. In 1974 the company was renamed into the production association «Altai Tractor Plant» and in 1992 — has been reorganized and named into the open joint-stock company «Altai Tractor». Yr 2010 employees were announced that the productions will stop.
The DT-54 has been produced by Kharkiv Traktorny Sawod, Stalingradski Traktorny Sawod and Altaiski Tractor Sawod.